Imagine awakening to the sounds of howler monkeys and roosters, watching the sunrise, enjoying the quiet moments before people get moving for the day……yeah, I can’t either. Matter of fact, I slept through those moments except for my last day in Mal Pais, when I was forced to get up at 5:30 AM.
We definitely enjoyed our time to the fullest and were sad to have to leave. Matter of fact, my boyfriend’s initial impression of Mal Pais was, “Where am I? You have me in the middle of nowhere. It took 2 shuttles and a ferry just to get to the middle of nowhere.” Then he looked around our hotel room and said, “Baby, where’s the T.V.? What am I supposed to do for the next 8 days?” In the end, he had a great time and inspired me to compile a list of our favorite moments, places to eat, and fun facts. Enjoy!
Top 7 Moments:
1. Surfing/Surf Lessons
2. Riding the Quads/ATVs
3. Zip Lining/Canopy Tour
4. The Beach
5. People Watching
Favorite Places to Eat:
1. Cosechas – Smoothies
2. Mi Tierra – Breakfast
3. Soda La Armistad – Lunch/Dinner
4. The Bakery – Pastries (take it to go or they charge you a fee for sitting in the shop)
1. Mal Pais is a dog friendly town. Unlike the states, dogs are allowed on the beaches (and to roam the streets for that matter)
2. Gotta pee? Just pull over to the side of the road. There’re no fines for “indecent exposure.” Matter of fact, it is permissible to walk the streets or enter restaurants in just your bathing suit (read skimpy bikini or board shorts).
3. Ticos and Ticas love their reggae music. At one point, I thought I was in Jamaica! You hear more reggae music than latin music and definitely NO R&B/HipHop.
4. Costa Rica is an eco-friendly country. Not only do they recycle and use rain water, but in most places you CAN NOT put tissue in the toilets. In the words of one of my favorite tour guides, “If it doesn’t exit your body, then it doesn’t go in the toilet.” LOL
5. In Mal Pais, you get to interact with people from all over the world and they stay in the area indefinitely. We met people from: Sweden, Ecuador, all over the the States, Argentina, Greece, Belgium…